Because I AM!!
Like any vegetarian, I am OBSESSED with hummus. It’s a sad sad day when there is none left in the fridge. For 75c you can get really tasty hummus from Lidl. I love Lidl. So affordable, right on my door, I get ID’d buying booze. I LOVE Lidl.
They also do these packs of cooked Beetroot for like €1.50 and you get 4 to 5 beets. And beetroot is damn good for you! I have a gorgeous Beetroot, Carrot and Pear Salad, I’ll throw up another day.
I whipped up the beetroot hummus today while I was horsing into the Blueberry Porridge. Went and got my hair did, then came home and had the Beetroot Hummus for lunch. I had it with Dark Rye Ryvita and a lovely Kale, grated Carrot, Olive and Feta Salad. Yum. I forgot to take a picture and it is very much gone now but believe me, it’s good.
The only slightly awkward thing to get for hummus is Tahini. Tahini is basically smushed up sesame seeds with oil. I was wandering around yesterday and couldn’t find any in the health shops so I popped into the Asian Supermarket by Jervais. I asked did they have it and he said no BUT they have Asian Sesame seed paste, which is the EXACT same thing. If anything, it actually tastes a bit nicer. It only cost €3.49 as well. Bargain.
So here it is:
- A tin of Chickpeas
- Two cooked Beets, chopped up
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Big Tablespoon of Tahini/Sesame Paste
- Quarter of a lemon squeezed in
- Water, add in small dribbles if consistency is too thick
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pop ALL the ingredients into a big bowl.
- Get out your hand blender and blitz ’til it’s a hummus like consistency. The big bowl comes in handy for the hand blender.
- Put in your mouth or in a airtight container to save for later.
- Sprinkle on your toasted seeds.