Halloumi is hall-ou-yummi!!
Sorry about the shocking pun but it is. I don’t buy it very often as it will be devoured. Within minutes. But it adds such a wonderful salty flavour to any dish. Especially this one. I wasn’t really sure what I was doing when I started but once the cheese was added, well now, it became something else.
This recipe gave me a massive excuse to use my favourite kitchen toy, I mean utensil. The Spiralizer! Steph bought it for me as a present when she heard I was going to start sharing my little kitchen endeavors and I’ve never looked back. Squishy things like courgettes are easier to spiralize but I managed to get the butternut squash going… eventually…
I was home for a day between Steph’s wedding in France and heading off to Glastonbury so I didn’t want to do a food shop. This salad consists of whatever I had in the fridge at the time. So if it sounds a bit random? It is. It has also taken me ages to post as I haven’t been at home much to try out anything. I have eaten far too much Boojum recently… I will get back on the healthy bandwagon, I swear. I should mention that the butternut Squash is raw in this recipe. Once it is spiralzed, I didn’t see the need to cook it as it was lovely and crunchy.
- 1-2 Carrots, peeled and spiralized
- Butternut Squash, as much as you like, Spiralized
- 1/2 Red Onion, sliced thinly
- A Handful of Mixed Seeds
- 4-6 slices of Halloumi
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Olive or Rapeseed Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Add the Carrot, Butternut Squash and Red Onion to a bowl.
- Grill or dry fry (no oil on the pan) your Halloumi.
- Mix the oil and vinegar together with the salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the vegetables and mix together.
- Sprinkle the seeds over the salad.
- Place the Halloumi on top and dig in!