Brunch is a great meal. I’m a big fan. Though it usually features eggs. Quite heavily. Which is fine but if you’re a vegan or just not fond of eggs, it means you can’t eat brunch in many places. Now these hash browns do contain egg but they are cleverly disguised behind the potato and onion. Himself could still “taste the egg” in this batch but he ate them before and said nothing. So I should have just added more potato. But I still think they are fabulous. Add my baked beans and it’s a gorgeous start to the day!
Here are some I made before, just as delicious but with added chia seeds. I had used cannelloni beans too instead of butter beans. But are as good in fairness but cannelloni beans are what would be used in Heinz baked beans so closer to the original.
- 2-3 Grated potatoes
- 1 Grated onion, red or white.
- 1 egg, beaten
- Salt and Pepper to season
- Chia Seeds (optional
- Add the grated onion and potato to a bowl, then mix in the beaten egg.
- Add chia seeds and seasoning.
- Add some olive oil to a frying pan then add the in the mixture, flattening it out with a wooden spoon.
- Leave it on a medium heat until the bottom is crispy.
- Place a large plate over the frying pan and flip it over so the hash brown lands on the plate. Slide it back into the frying pan to finish frying the second side.
- When it is crispy, cut into four and serve.
I tried to make an alternative to this recipe with sweet potato and courgette. I am definitely onto something but I need to figure out a way to make the sweet potato less crunchy. I added paprika and it really was lovely but before I post it properly, I’ll perfect it. Then I’ll share it with you all. It was just a bit too crumbly too so it fell apart in the pan too. But here is a picture anyway. I’ll figure it out…