I’m really not that big of a pasta fan so this is an unusual one for me to share. I just don’t like white pasta, there is very little nutrients in it and it’s just a bit stodgy. But it is very convenient as it cooks so quickly. My normal Go-To quick meal is usually Soba Noodles with vegetables. But I didn’t feel like that would cut the mustard yesterday and fuck it, I wanted to try something new. So I had a bit of a stalk on the internet to find some quick vegan recipes and found one that sounded nutritious and tasty. Then tweaked it. It can be hard to find a healthy version of some vegan meals. Most people try to recreate recipes that would be similar to the meat originals or have fake meat in it. I don’t miss meat so I don’t know why I would have fake meat. I would much rather fill up a dish with vegetables than fake protein. So this recipe is as natural as I could get for a pasta. It involves using avocado to make a creamy sauce. And who doesn’t love avocados?
For Christmas, one of my gifts was a Nutri-bullet from my father. I honestly don’t know how I functioned without one. It turns everything to dust. Fear not however, for I refuse to become one of those people who lists smoothies as recipes. No. Just, no. You don’t need a recipe to throw some vegetables and a bit of fruit into a blender. In saying that, I did look up a few to see if beetroot and carrot work and yes, they do. ANYTHING does because the Nutri Bullet is a beast. That’s all you need to know when making a smoothie.
The bullet is also a superstar when you want to make dressings and sauces as I learned last night. I, thankfully, will never have to whisk anything ever again. I made quite a large pot of spaghetti as I was running out to the gym and wanted extra for when I came back. Also, bringing the previous nights dinner into work for lunch the next day is my favourite and most efficient thing to do so I have pasta today to devour at 1pm. I’ll let you know if the avocado has lost it’s green colour which it is bound to but I bet it will taste just as good. If another blog post doesn’t appear, presume it killed me. Joke…. I hope…
This also makes about 3 servings so half the ingredients if you need less.
- Wholewheat spaghetti, as much as you need/like
- 1/2 a head of Broccoli, broken into smaller segments
- 1 tin of sweetcorn (I used a small tin)
- 10 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbls Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbls Olive Oil
- 1 large ripe Avocado
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- Pop your pasta into a saucepan to cook as you make the rest. I find brown takes longer, so I always put it on first
- Stir fry your onion on a low-medium heat in 1 tbls of the olive oil. When it is soft, add half of the minced garlic.
- Add the mushroom and broccoli to the onion and garlic.
- While they are cooking away, add the lemon juice, avocado, salt and pepper, the remaining olive oil (2tbls) and garlic to the nutri bullet. I also added about 3 tbls of the pasta water to the mix as it wasn’t blending smoothly. It also ensured the sauce was warm.
- Drain the pasta, add the vegetables from the pan to the pasta pot, then stir in your creamy sauce from the blender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
View this post on Instagram
Not a big pasta fan but when I do, it's always brown pasta. So this is wholewheat spaghetti with mushroom, sweet corn and broccoli in a creamy Lemon avocado sauce! Recipe coming to my blog, Caravaggio.com #vegan #vegetable #vegetarian #healthy #recipe #dinner #tasty #pasta #newyear #avocado #creamy #fit #gymfood